Empowered Women Run the Show: XAOC Contemporary Ballet Presents New Ballets By Female Choreographer With All-Female Company
Empowered women run the show at XAOC Contemporary Ballet, which presents its third full evening of work on April 7, 2019 at 7pm at the NY City Center Studios. The evening will feature the all-female company in seven original ballets by artistic director and choreographer Eryn Renee Young and a live piano performance of Schubert's Fantasie in F minor.
Ms. Young founded XAOC Contemporary Ballet in 2010 at the age of 19 to create a place for new ballets to be made and performed by women on the chamber scale, and celebrates nine years of creative classical innovation. She is currently receiving choreographic mentorship by Lauren Lovette, Principal Dancer and Choreographer with New York City Ballet, arranged through the Jacob's Pillow Ann and Weston Hicks Choreographic Fellowship, of which Ms. Young was selected as an inaugural Choreography Fellow in 2018.
The program includes:
• The third movement of Symphonie Miroir, to music by Bela Bartok, commissioned in 2014 by the Eryc Taylor Dance New Choreographers Grant
• Six Memos, a soft meditation inspired by the writings of Italo Calvino.
• Allagi (The Consistency of Change), a winner of Edward Villella's 2015 Choreographers Competition with music by Kevin Keller.
• Terrextra, created in residency at the University of North Carolina School of the Arts and Jacob's Pillow
• Land Earth Sea Cloud Sky, commissioned by Norte Maar in 2018 and created in collaboration with visual artist Jeri Coppola
• Violin Variation in D, created in 2018 to music by Felix Mendelssohn
• Voyager I, company premiere, commissioned in 2018 by the Columbia Ballet Collaborative and premiered alongside works by Silas Farley (NYCB) and Zhongjing Fang (ABT)
• Schubert's Fantasie in F minor, performed by pianists Olga Bazilevskaya and Miho Nozawa
Featured dancers: Kathleen Bollana, Gahee Chung, Jacline Henrichs, Allegra Kirksey-Curtis, Marika Kossakowski, Misa Mochizuki, Tailys Poncione, Danielle Rutherford, Mackenzie Schiller, Michelle Thompson Ulerich, Fernanda Yamaguchi
XAOC Contemporary Ballet is a New York City-based neoclassical ballet company founded by choreographer Eryn Renee Young in 2010. The name XAOC (pronounced zay-ock) is derived from the Greek 'χαος,' which means 'chaos' and implies explosive creation. The company has been presented by Battery Dance Festival, Dance at Socrates, The Ailey Citigroup Theater, the Young Choreographer's Festival at Symphony Space (2x), Boston Contemporary Dance Festival, the Dumbo Dance Festival (3x), the CounterPointe Series (6x), Brooklyn Dance Festival, the Pushing Progress Series, and many others. Awards include selection as a winner of the 2015 Edward Villella Emerging Choreographers Competition, an Eryc Taylor Dance New Choreography Grant, selection for the 2013 Dance/USA Institute for Leadership, a 2015 Manhattan Community Arts Fund Grant for their ballet outreach program "Project Ignite." The company/Ms. Young have received residencies and fellowships at Jacob's Pillow, the University of North Carolina School of the Arts Choreographic Institute, and Dance at Socrates in Queens, NY.
XAOC Ballet: Choreography Up Close, Volume II
April 7, 2019 7pm
NY City Center Studios, 5th Floor
130 W. 56th Street, New York, NY
Info & Tickets: www.xaocballet.org